Nick was five years old. He loved watching the dogs and cats playing in the pet shop window. He wished he had a pet.
“Not yet, Nick!” Daddy always said. “You are too young to have a pet.” Then one day there were no dogs and cats in the pet shop, just a white baby rabbit with big sad eyes.
“Oh, Mummy,” said Nick. “He’s very sad. Can I have him? It’s my birthday tomorrow.” “We’ll ask your Daddy.” Mummy said.
Early in the morning, Nick was very happy to see the baby rabbit in Daddy’s hands. “ Happy birthday, Nick! This is your birthday present!” Daddy said. “Thank you, Daddy! I’ll always be good to it.”
1. How old was Nick?
2. What did he wish to have?
3. Why couldn’t Nick have a pet?
4. What was the only animal in the pet shop?
5. How does the baby rabbit like?
6. Who will they ask about the rabbit?
7. Where was the baby rabbit?
8. What did Nick get on his birthday?
Lovely pet, warm present!
This story focuses on a thing happened in the past, which related to a boy Nick. This thoughtful and contemporary text is full of knowledge and challenges for Ss’ self-reading. The teacher should help Ss read by skimming and scanning the reading material. The Ss get the general idea about the story. The three-dimension teaching aims are reflected in this lesson.
【Analysis of learners】
As we all know, Ss are imaginative, creative and like new things. They like participating in activities and like to do things with their hands, bodies and minds. So in this class, I’ll give Ss opportunities to imagine and create.
1. Ss should be able to read and understand the story.
2. Ss can use the simple past tense to describe things happened before.
1. To cultivate their imaginative and creative abilities.
2. To motivate their feelings and read the story with full emotions.
1. Foster their ability to protect animals and love animals, take animals as our friends.
2. No matter what happened, father and mother are
【Key and difficult points】
1. How to use the simple past tense to talk about things happened before.
2. How to organize them to read the story with true feelings.
1. Task-based Teaching Method
2. Communicative Teaching Method
Step 1. Pre-reading
1. Introduce the task
(1) I can read and understand the story.
(2) I can use the simple past tense to talk about something happened before.
(3) I can practice by myself and cooperate with my classmates.
(Purpose: This can motivate their interest in learning new knowledge. And they also know what they will do in the class.)
2. Build a background
(1) Free talk:
1. What’s your name?
2. How old are you?
3. What animals do you like?
(Purpose: Greeting with each other to shorten the distance between the T and Ss.)
(2)Say something about Nick
1. Ss can say: Nick’s age, hobby, family…
(Purpose: Ss have previewed this story, so they knew something about him. This step is to review the knowledge they’ve learnt and well prepared for the next step.)
Step 2. While-reading
1. Present the text
(1) Listen and order
( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
(Purpose: Let Ss listen to the tape and get the general idea of the story.)
2. Deal with the text
(1) Read, find and circle
Ss read Para1, and find the verb past tense: was/were, loved, wished, had
(Strategies: Read by themselves or read after the little teacher. Purpose: Ss should know the correct pronunciation of these words and know the story happened in the past.)
(2) Read, think and answer
Ss read Para 2 & 3,
Q1: What did the rabbit look like?
It had big sad eyes.
If you are Nick, you see a rabbit with sad eyes, what will you do?
(Let them discuss in pairs and imagine. We should love animals, because they are our friends.)
Q2: Can Nick have a white baby rabbit? Why?
Yes. Nick was happy to see the baby rabbit in his Daddy’s hands.
(Purpose: To cultivate their imaginative ability, skim the two Paragraphs quickly and catch main information.)
(2) Read and circle
Read the lastPara. And circle what did Daddy say?
Happy Birthday, Nick! This is your birthday present! (Let Ss read and act actively.)
(Purpose: They can read the story full of emotion and to develop their ability to use English in real situation. If today is someone’s birthday, we can say “Happy Birthday” to him/her)
3. Practice time
(1) Listen and repeat
Let Ss listen to the tape and read after it. If they meet long sentences, teach them how to read.
(2) Role play
3 Ss in a group, act the story in different roles. Pay attention to their pronunciation, expression and action.
(Purpose: The part can train their speaking and reading ability, they can think and say by themselves.)
Step 3. Post-reading
1. Finish the task
In your childhood, what did you want? And how could you get?
(1) Discuss in groups.
(2) Use the simple past tense to write a short story about yourself.
(3) Show it in your groups and show it to classmates.
(Purpose: To create their writing ability and cooperative ability. )
2. Do self-evaluation
If they finish a goal, they can get one star: “Not bad!”
(Purpose: Ensure that Ss are the subjects of the assessment.)
Step 4. Homework
1. Read and try to retell the story.
2. Use the simple past tense to write something about your friends.
3. Share this story with your parents.